Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Strawberry Fields Forever

Mmm, it's one of my favourite times of the year: strawberry season!

Over the weekend, we took a little roadtrip to a farmstand. My parents buy their strawberries from them year after year, so Daniel and I knew that we couldn't go wrong. We bought a flat of berries for us, and a flat for Mom and Dad. The smell of those delicious little morsels filled the car for our entire trip home. 

I used to have fun picking berries at our local u-picks as a little kid, but after I became allergic to bee stings, I didn't get to frolic through the fields. It's better to be safe than sorry, I suppose, but it does seem like it would be a fun date to pick a basket or two of those sweet red berries. I'd much rather get to enjoy a handful of strawberries without my Epipen in my leg, though :)

Look at how vibrant our berries are:


Once we got home, I took out my borrowed strawberry huller and went to town! I hulled the flat of strawberries while Daniel bagged them. We left out any of the "squishier" berries and made creamy smoothies with them. Needless to say, after doing the entire flat, our little freezer is filled to the brim. Combine our berries and rhubarb and you've got one yummy freezer-ful!

Here are a few recipes from the Tasty Kitchen website that I've been itching to try:


Do you have any favourite strawberry recipes?

Happy Tuesday!

2 comments:

  1. strawberry vanilla pancakes are calling my name. yum!
    ps i'm so jealous of your rhubarb!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ps2 have you ever had strawberry soup? i made it once, from a recipe in my Taste of Home cookbook (which i left at home :( ). it was gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...