Wednesday, November 26, 2014

Whole 30 Friendly Snack : Fruit and Nut Bites

Whole 30 approved fruit and nut bites on Polka Dot Soup


Dan and I just completed our first round of Whole 30. I hope to discuss our experience in the next few weeks, once I've gathered my thoughts, and Dan may weigh in, too. I am also planning on sharing a few Whole 30 recipes that we developed, just like today's recipe!

We often searched the internet and Pinterest for Whole 30 compliant recipes and ideas. I even created a Pinterest board of Whole 30 recipes that appealed to me, which, to be honest, wasn't that many! One area that was severely lacking was Whole 30 friendly snacks. I don't know about you, but after a month of eating veggies, fruit, and bits of chicken or meat for snacks, a person tends to want some variety. Most Paleo friendly snacks that came up during our search included honey or maple syrup, which are both taboo while completing the Whole 30. I have several recipes for energy bites that I used to use regularly, but they aren't Whole 30 compliant. I came up with a modified version that can be enjoyed guilt free! These fruit and nut bites are gluten-free, sugar-free, dairy-free, grain-free and egg free treats.

Whole 30 friendly fruit and nut bites on Polka Dot Soup


Fruit and Nut Bites : A Whole 30 Approved Snack

1 1/4 cup raw sunflower seeds
3/4 cup unsweetened coconut
1 1/2 c pitted dates
2 heaping spoonfuls of almond butter
pinch of salt (optional)

Begin by soaking the dates in enough boiled water to cover. Let soak for 2 - 3 minutes. In food processor, add all ingredients. Process until the mixture achieves your desired consistence. Use an ice cream or cookie scoop or roll several tablespoons into a ball and place on parchment paper. Let chill in refrigerator. Enjoy!

Note: Raw sunflower seeds aren't high on the list of approved nuts and seeds, but they are one of the least expensive. Keep that in mind when you're snacking on these fruit and nut bites - don't go overboard.


If you give this recipe a try, I would love to hear your thoughts! Dan and I both loved them, and they'll be making a regular appearance when we make healthy snacks. They're a nice change from an apple or orange!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...