Monday, August 29, 2011

Basil, My Friend


Recipe time!

I don't know about you, but my absolute favourite herb is basil. Used fresh in sandwiches and dips, tossed in steamed Jasmine rice, added to a stirfry or curry, whatever. That's one amazing herb.

I did a little trade off with my boss - a bag of my Cranberry Chai granola for a big ol' bag of her sweet basil. I have some growing, but not to the extent  that she does. I wanted to make a mean batch of pesto, so she shared her trusted, well-used recipe with me. Here I am, sharing it with you!

Classic Basil Pesto

3 c basil, washed and packed
2 large garlic cloves
1/2 c nuts
3/4 c parmesan, freshly grated
3/4 c parsley, packed
1/2 c olive oil
1/4 c butter, melted
1/2 tsp salt

Place in food processor and blend, blend, blend!

I used parsley from my own garden, and the freshest walnuts that I've ever tasted from a shop that gets them in from the Middle East. I don't know if I will ever be able to go back to getting nuts at the Bulk Barn :)

Pesto can be frozen in ice cube trays, then popped out and frozen in a bag or container. You can use it in soups, rice, stirfry, eggs, pasta, dips, sky's the limit!

Do you love basil? How do you use it?

Happy Monday!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...