Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Garden Inspiration for 2014


Each year as spring gets closer, I get itching to get my hands covered in mud. Dan and I are both big fans of fresh local produce, and what better source than your own backyard? We are currently renting (and looking for a new place to call our own and plant some roots) so we aren't planning on growing a garden this year if we're still in this location. Regardless, when spring seems as though it's just around the corner, I love to daydream about toiling over the soil and reaping the delicious benefits in the fall. 

There are lots of verses and references in the Bible about gardening, growing and various analogies using gardening, showing the importance of gardening through the eyes of God. One of my favourite ones that I've discovered is from James 1:21:

In simple humility, let our gardener God, 
landscape you with the Word, 
making a salvation garden of your life.

I spent two years working in a flower shop and garden centre environment for a talented woman who would put the average gardener to shame. Working in such close proximity to a gardening expert made me feel even more strongly about growing my own food, and/or supporting local growers. The need to keep our produce production close to home is vital for our communities.

When I clicked over to Etsy this evening, I noticed that the treasury that was featured on the front page was gardening-inspired. I guess I'm not the only one that wants to get planting. Take a look!

Etsy "greenhouse" treasury by Diana
The link below the shot (as well as clicking on the photo itself) will take you to the actual treasury, if you are interested in making any Etsy purchases. I love the simple natural palette with pops of fresh greens. Nothing says spring like those fresh doses of green!

I've shared other gardening posts over the past few years. Here's some more green reading for you:


Herbs 101 - Advice about growing and using your own garden fresh herbs


Our very first garden adventure in 2011


My 2011 herb container garden


I created an Etsy treasury in 2012 to inspire me for the upcoming gardening season


Pansy eye-candy photos from my days of working in a garden centre circa 2012




... and a Margaret Atwood quote in 2013, during my time of gardening indecisiveness.

I hope that this post got your green (or black!) thumb itching to get a'plantin'. With a baby on the way in the prime of gardening prep, I'm unsure as to whether I'll tackle a garden this year. If I don't, thank goodness we have oodles of local farmers' markets and vendors supplying local veggies!

Happy Wednesday!


1 comment:

  1. With your green thumb, I have no doubt that fresh produce and flowers will bloom in any place you choose. By the way, how was the move? I hope everything turned out well, and you’ve found your very own perfect place to grow those roots and seeds. Anyway, your garden inspiration is definitely worth pinning. Thanks for sharing it!

    Mitchell Knapp @ Scenic Landscaping

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...