Tuesday, August 24, 2010

It's DIY Time!

What a pleasant surprise for a Tuesday! It's a brand new DIY feature :)

Today I made some pretty candle holders. I am decorating for my brother-in-law's rehearsal dinner on Friday, and I need a lot of inexpensive candle holders. I was brainstorming last night and came up with this idea, using materials I already had. Chances are, you have a variation of each of the items, too!

Here's what you need:


  • tealights - preferably yummy strawberry rhubarb ones that you've been itching to use :)
  • jam jars - I used the short Mason jars... I picked them up for preserves last fall
  • your favourite pair of scissors
  • adhesive - I used my handy Dotliner, which is basically a dispenser of little glue dots
  • vellum, or any translucent paper, like wax paper, or even a scrapbooking overlay
  • * You can also use a ruler, but I like to freehand all of my cuts... I like a little character *

Measure, or eyeball the height of your jar. Make the paper at least an inch taller than the jar. Cut along your line:


I like to put the adhesive on the paper as opposed to the jar, so it won't leave any residue for further use. So... apply the adhesive to one side of the paper or vellum:


Wrap the vellum around the jar and place your tea light inside:


Place the jars in the perfect location, light the candles, and enjoy!


If you don't want the lines of the jam jar to show at the top, use a flat bottomed glass instead. This should get rid of the shadow for you.

This is the easiest, quickest little project to do. You don't have to be crafty, and you can use them anywhere. It's cute on a shelf, or in your bathroom, too. Just make sure, as with any candles, that there's nothing above the flame that could catch on fire.

Try this DIY out! It's such a fast way to set a pretty table.

Happy Tuesday!

1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...