Sunday, December 19, 2010

DIY - Kid's Art Journal

Aren't kids to best to make presents for? They love colour, abstract ideas, and creativity - a perfect combination for a handmade gift! This DIY is with the kiddos in mind.

An art journal is a great way to get little ones in a creative mindset. This project helps them to get their juices flowing. Give them a journal that you have made, along with crayons, pencils, or markers, whatever is best for their age group. The project is appropriate for ages two to ten, and even higher, depending on the child. The only difference is the questions or prompts that you put inside the journal. Let's get started!
To begin, gather your supplies:


  • a journal of some sort - I picked up several leather bound books at a ridiculous clearance price
  • markers - I love American Crafts Slick Writers and Sharpies
  • scissors
  • glue, double sided tape, or any other form of adhesive
  • embellishment - sequins, brads, flowers, you name it
  • printed scrapbooking paper or cardstock - little scraps are great for this project

I made a title page in each journal to set the tone for the book. For my niece, I made the page below so she can write her own name before she gets started.


    Each journal page is a little bit different. The general style was a handwritten (printed, written, bubble letters) topic and a scrap of brightly coloured paper per page, cut into any shape: stripes, squares, frames. Here are a list of possible page topics to get you started:

    • My favourite colour is...
    • My favourite snack is...
    • Here is my mommy...
    • Here is my daddy...
    • These are my siblings...
    • I laugh when...
    • I am .... years old
    • I like to sing...
    • My Sunday School teacher's name is...
    • Here are my friends...
    • I like to eat...
    • I like to drink...
    • My favourite toy is...
    • I can count to...
    • This is my house...
    • I can say this Bible verse...
    • Here is my bike...
    You can change the topics for each child. My nephew loves Thomas the Tank Engine, so I made this page in his journal:



    At the end of the book, the final page reads, "this is me". I thought that it would be a fun note to end on: a little self-portrait. Depending on the age, it could be detailed or an adorable stick man. 

    Kids are so naturally creative, it's great to encourage their development. This project is incredibly inexpensive, and it only takes an hour to make. The parent will really appreciate the effort that you've put into their child's gift, and the kiddo will have a lot of fun, too!

    Hope you enjoyed this project! Give it a shot - you can have a little creative release making the journal, too.

    Happy Sunday!

    No comments:

    Post a Comment

    Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...