Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Tasty Treat

< image via weheartit >

I'm just dropping in to share a terrific recipe with you:


Rhubarb Ginger Syrup
4 c rhubarb, diced
1" ginger, sliced
1 c white sugar
1 c water
1 tsp vanilla

Bring all ingredients to a simmer.
Continue to cook 15 - 20 minutes,
or until rhubarb is broken down.
Strain liquid.
Store in refrigerator once cool. 
Add to club soda for a tart drink,
or to 7-Up for a sweeter taste.
Enjoy!



I don't know about you, but around this time of year, I love using up some of my frozen produce stash from last summer. If you have extra rhubarb hanging out in your freezer and you are itching to use it up, you have to make this syrup. It's so delicious and refreshing! It's great to mix up if you have friends in, since it's something a little unique. My friend Jessie made and bottled some syrup as Christmas gifts, and I've fooled around with a couple of recipes until I came up with these proportions. It works!

Also, I've been using the leftover stewed rhubarb and ginger as a fruity sweetener in our smoothies. It tastes terrific, and there's no waste! It goes really well with blueberries and raspberries - yummo :)

Happy Wednesday!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...