Thursday, June 16, 2011

Chickpea Salad

I don't know about you, but when it comes time to go to a potluck, I love trying out new recipes. I don't have any go-to recipes, I usually like to wing it. We were invited to a birthday party that was potluck supper tonight, and I wanted to bring something a little different. I had to work all day today, and the party started at 5:00, so I knew that it needed to be a recipe that could hang out in the fridge overnight. 

Last night, I was tossing ideas around for a quick and easy salad. I wanted to use ingredients that I had on hand, since it was too late to make a run to the grocery store. I came up with this recipe, and it's a bit of a dooooozy, if I do say so myself. :)

I grabbed a photo of the dish as we headed out the door tonight:


Here's the recipe: and remember, all of my measurements are estimated. You know me, I'm all about the guess-timation. I can't remember the last time I measured while cooking. Baking? Well, that's another story altogether. I know when I need to measure, and when improvisation is the best option. This recipe? I improvised. :P


Chickpea Salad

2 cans chickpeas, drained and rinsed
1/2 large onion, finely chopped
1 tomato, diced
10 apricots, sliced thinly
1/4 c oil
2 tbsp honey
1 tbsp sriracha hot sauce
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp dried parsley
1 tsp dehydrated chives
salt & pepper

Whisk together oil, honey, and hot sauce until combined (honey may need to be heated first). Add seasonings. Pour over chickpeas, onion, tomato, and apricots. Stir, and let sit refrigerated overnight. Before serving, chop a large handful of cilantro and toss in salad. Serve cold (preferably in vintage Pyrex!) - and enjoy!


Let me know if you give the recipe a go. I think you'll be pleased with the results!

Happy Thursday!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...