Saturday, October 1, 2011

L'il Drama

Well, yesterday I got a hornet sting for the first time in sixteen years. For those of you that don't know, I'm allergic. I've been carrying my Epi-pen with me every day and yesterday was the first time that I've ever had to use it.

My boss had just gone out for half an hour or so, and I went outside to carry some bags into the office. I put my hand through the reusable bag's handle and felt a pinch. I pulled my hand out to see what was up, and there he was. Perched on my hand, the little bugger. I thought, "Uh oh, if I can feel it, that means he's already got me." I swatted him off and ran inside. Our shop is in the same building as a cafe, so I ran up to one of the servers and told her that I had gotten stung. They all know that I'm allergic, so we ran to the office. I wasn't sure if I should use my Epi-pen or not, the site of the sting was swollen, but that was it. We called Daniel and he thought that I should take it. At this point I was really shaky and my head felt really buzzy. Weird. Another lady from the cafe volunteered to take me to the hospital, so we went outside for me to give myself the shot, since there was a good chance that the epinephrine would cause me to go unconscious. I pass out when I get needles, anyway. It was the strangest feeling: I had my arm lifted so I could swing the Epi-pen into my leg, but my arm just wouldn't do it. It was like a mental block. The lady that was with me held me while I did it (talk about a bonding moment! :) and then I got in the car. Luckily, I didn't faint. My heart rate was a little weird, but that was it.

From there, we drove to the hospital. That's where Dan works, so he was waiting at the door when we got there. We had taken a cell phone with us in case we needed to call an ambulance, but I was okay. We rushed into the hospital and I got taken into an examining room right away. They took my vitals, and everything was fine. I got ice to put on my hand, and they got me to just rest until the doctor got there. Once he arrived, he got them to give me some meds that knocked me out for the rest of the afternoon. When Daniel got off work, we went home. Talk about feeling strange... that was a lot of medication! I took some more before bed, and then again this morning.

My hand is red, swollen, and hot, but I can deal with that. Yesterday could have been a whole lot worse... a hole put in my trachea (eww - gross) or absolute worst case scenario - dying. I'm so thankful that I wasn't by myself and I didn't need to call 911. Needless to say, I did not have my table at the market. Some of the other vendors set up my stuff and sold it while I was gone - so sweet.

Well, that was my biggest adventure lately. We're just hanging out at home and chilling today, and I'll be back to work tomorrow.

Happy Weekend!

3 comments:

  1. I'm so glad you're okay!! That must have been scary... That's so nice that Dan was there! Probably made everything all better. Hope your swelling goes down soon! Miss you xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. woah, so scary!! get dan to give you an extra-tight hug for me today! <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, girlies :) It's coming along pretty well.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...