Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Carrot Chipotle Soup

I love experimenting in the kitchen when I have the extra time. Soup is not something that I make very often, but I love it. I find that I only make soup when I'm not rushing, so on the average weeknight, it's out of the question. I was really craving a good bowl of soup lately with the chillier weather, so I decided to make a batch. I tweaked a couple of recipes, combined them, and put my spin on them and came up with this recipe. Give it a try!


Carrot Chipotle Soup

EVVO (extra virgin olive oil, Rachael Ray style) + butter, enough to sauté with
1 small onion, diced
3 leeks (whites only), diced
3 tbsp adobo sauce
1 chipotle pepper, minced
2 lb carrots, sliced
chicken or veggie stock
salt + pepper
1 can evaporated milk

Heat large saucepan over medium heat. Add olive oil and butter and melt. Sauté onion and leeks until softened. Add adobo sauce and chipotle, stirring until fragrant. Place carrots in saucepan, stirring, for two minutes. Cover with stock, and increase heat to medium-high. Cover, stirring occasionally, and cook until carrots are tender. Remove from heat, and add evaporated milk and salt and pepper. Puree and add more stock or water if needed.


We had this soup with warm multigrain rolls, mmm mmm! It was great for lunch the next day, too - the flavours mingled overnight and it was so flavourful. I had it with guacamole and crackers, so yummy. The amount of heat and smokiness from the adobo sauce and chipotle were just right - it tasted mild at first, but the spice hit once you swallowed.

Let me know if you try this recipe - I'd love to hear what you think of it! It's a yummy, inexpensive soup with pretty basic ingredients (you can get the chipotles in adobo in most grocery stores in the exotic food section) so it's totally worth a shot. It makes a big batch, too - perfect for sharing or having with company!

Happy Wednesday!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...