Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Crafting in January


As soon as Christmas gets all wrapped up - presents unwrapped, decorations boxed up, the tree thrown out, the food all eaten - I get itching to craft every year. Call it nesting, winter hibernation, shack-happy, whatever, but all I want to do is create with my hands. There is an innate desire in me that screams "let me craft!"

I chose four colourful projects that are from my DIY Pinterest board to make this month. The monocromatic winterscape outside makes the colours stand out even more. I've had each of these projects pinned for a long time, and now that I'm writing down that I'm making them, maybe I'll get committed :)

The first project? A pencil stand from an old chunk of wood. I have lots of art supplies that need to be organized, and this free craft project would be both quick and useful. This supply stand could be used in countless ways - pencils, pencil crayons, markers, paint brushes, make-up brushes, you name it. You get to use hand-tools while making the stand as well... can it get any more fun?

I've had lots of vintage fabric scraps saved over the past few years. The pillowcase project would make great use of those vintage fabrics, and bring cheery comfiness to the bed linens. I don't think that I'll tackle the crocheted edge, but bright colours? That I can manage.

The third project is one that I have wanted to do for quite some time. I may paint Mason jars with bright colours, but chances are I'll use a metallic paint or two for this go-round. Timeless storage solutions that are inexpensive (read: free) and easy rock my boat. Just need to grab a jar or two from the recycling bin. Eco-friendly at its finest.

The last project is one that I will tackle on a smaller scale. Colourful paper flowers would be right at home in our rearranged living room. I'm getting tired of some of the darker artwork that's displayed in our home (I may list some pieces on Kijiji) and the paper flowers will be nice free placeholders until I decide what I want to do.

How about you? Are there any craft projects that you are tackling this month? Let me know if you think of any cool ideas! I'm always up for something new and cheap.

(Sources: Image 1; Image 2; Image 3; Image 4)

Happy Tuesday!


2 comments:

  1. the paper flowers look cheery! fun idea.

    i painted mason jars last summer with silhouettes on them. metallic sounds fun.

    i'm currently whipping up a new ruffled duvet as a surprise for my daughter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh, a ruffly duvet. There's an Anthropologie-inspired ruffled shower curtain that's been circulating that I've been itching to try. Hope it works for you!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...